Thursday, December 9, 2010

Love of mine, someday you will die/But I'll be close behind - I'll follow you into the dark.

I was walking along the sidewalk in my neighborhood, heading to my little community gym, listening to Arcade Fire (Neon Bible) and letting my mind wander in the cold, darkening evening, and a thought that's appeared in my mind from time to time dropped in. It's a bit morbid, perhaps, but I thought I'd share it because I think it's interesting.

I have a very (VERY) vivid imagination. It's wonderful, although it can also be a bit of a burden. But in this instance, I just think it's fascinating. I've always wondered - what if there are multiple versions of our selves, and the paths we're moving forward on just fork off at different places? I know this isn't original (see Wikipedia), but I like my particular interpretation. So the reason this popped into my head as I was walking along the sidewalk was because, as cars passed quickly by me on the street, I envisioned one of them losing control and crashing into me, or me missing a step and falling into the road and, subsequently, their path of destruction. Now, I know this sounds scary/creepy/depressing, but hear me out. I envision that there are other universes in which I have ended my journey, multiple times over. I can even see myself each time, like a ghost, when I befall these tragedies, and I'm sad for that part, but it's almost like in the Dark Crystal, with the Skeksis - it's like those ghost versions of me revitalize the me that gets to live. So hopefully, a non-evil version of the Skeksis?

It's a strange thing to imagine. I think it ultimately has to do with how little control I (and any of us) really have over things like that; it's a way for me to feel like I have some kind of control over it all.

In the event that this has creeped you out, I'll leave you with this punny wish, courtesy BestWeekEver:

No comments:

Post a Comment