Monday, December 27, 2010

I went up past the willow and the well.

On my drive from my apartment in South Austin to the city (i.e. my drive to work every day), I am forced to cross a bridge over Lady Bird Lake. Although my favorite bridge is the Congress bridge, because the view of the city is so spectacular and Oz-like, the bridge I normally take is the Lamar bridge. This morning, as I passed under the stoplight that stands almost like an invisible gate to the bridge, I quickly glanced out over the water, and had to do a double-take. Sitting on top of the water, like delicate wasps of angel hair, was this gentle fog, sitting still on the glassy surface. It was almost like what you see on these especially cold days when you breathe out - like the water was breathing this constant stream of air, and its breath was creating these static vapors that made it all seem like some kind of Narnia. I love Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment